Thursday, March 29, 2018

Cock - A- Doodle -Do


Cock -A- Doodle-Do


Hello and welcome back to Nickle Plate Farm Memories.

The last time we visited I shared a few memories about my grandma as she did the morning farm chores. Today, I will share more barnyard memories.

I waited at the henhouse door as my grandma chased the hens off their nest. She quickly gathered the eggs and carefully placed them in a basket. The process seemed challenging as I fearfully watched for the Rhode Island Red rooster to come running around the corner at any moment.

I wasn't the only one in fear of the red rooster. The old red rooster put the fear in many family members and visitors  who came to the farm, many of whom barely got their car door open, their feet out of the car and on the ground, when the old red rooster would come on the run. I never knew a rooster could run so fast! How can a tiny bird brain be so scary? Terrorizing is a better word to describe those ruffled red feathers and black beady eyes coming after you!

One Sunday afternoon he raced across the yard, prepared to flog and spur his enemy. It may have been funny had it been a cartoon, however, this was the real thing.  My uncle grabbed a broom and swiftly hit the old red rooster in the head, knocking him to the ground as the rest of the family stood there in shock of the unexpected as well as very timely death of the Rhode Island Red rooster.

I'm sure we had chicken and noodles for supper the next day.  My grandma made the best homemade noodles.


1 comment: